Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Winter Hiking

Writing is a funny thing.

It's something that I absolutely love, something that I find cathartic, yet it's hard to sit down and write what you WANT after you've been drained throughout the day. You can't just sit down and let the pen flow after you've been dealing with emails and presentations all day - at least I can't.

As a result, I've not been able to muster the energy to add an extra blog post for every exciting thing that's happened recently. I get to it when I do.

What I DID do lately though is go camping. And considering the fact that it's winter time here, I think that's a pretty big accomplishment.

I was feeling stressed out from work after a rough week, and asked Yellowhed if we could take a mini weekend vacation somewhere. I was thinking something like spending a few nights in one of her favorite cities, watching some movies, and eating at some nice restaurants.

She recommended camping.

I was stunned.

Of course I wanted to go camping. I always do. But to here those words come out of City Girl's mouth - the girl who once attempted to chase a baby bear through the woods because she wanted to hold it - blew me away. And so, we went.

*PLOP* Our little tent!

It's been a while since I've spent the night outside, and so I guess I'm a little rusty. I completely forgot that there's a difference between winter and summer tents. A summer tent tends to have mosquito netting in the top so it doesn't get so stuffy during the mid-July heat. However, it also allows wind to rip through your little lean-to like a Taco Bell fart through swimming trunks. 

Guess which one we had. 

It was absolutely frigid. 

I knew that it was going to be cold on top of the mountain. It always is there for some reason. Even in the middle of summer, you can get hypothermia up there. Back in high school a friend and I went up there and he decided to bring nothing but a sheet to sleep in at night. A sheet. He no longer does that. 

As a result, I brought every blanket with us that we had in the house (literally), as well as every packet of HotHands that I'd been hoarding over the years. As soon as I got out of the car to register I knew it was going to be a loooong night. It was easily 20 degrees below the already low temperature back at home. We ended up going to bed at around 6pm simply because it was too cold to not be inside of a sleeping bag anymore. 

I spent most of the night curled into a little ball in the bottom of my sleeping bag wondering how I could be so cold with so many blankets. Eventually, I gained the courage to peep my head out to see how Yellowhed was doing. 

There she was, sound asleep, with every blanket on her wrapped up like a little cocoon. I further mustered the courage to wake her up, and when she saw how cold I was she offered to share.

She's so nice. 

It was at this point that I decided to break out the HotHands packets. I'd been awake for well over 3 hours in the middle of the night trying to stay warm, and by golly I was gonna fall asleep. 

I ripped open a couple of the packets, lining the inside of my sleeping bag with them, and finally got some rest. 

We woke up with the mutual understanding that we were going to be much better prepared next time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment