Monday, May 16, 2011

Until September

The last night of juvee was almost two weeks ago now. It feels kind of weird to actually be going to church on Wednesday instead. It was a good last night too. We took the guys in to play basketball and at the end got to talk for a little while. There wasn't much of a Bible study that night. I pretty much just thanked the guards for letting us to be able to come, and told the guys that it had been awesome getting to know them and that if they were still there by the end of the summer that I would see them then. The sad thing is that I probably will see most of them again in there too. According to the statistics, the re-incarceration rate is around 75%.  I don't want to see them again in there. I want them to be able to when they get out be able to stay out. I want to run into them at Wal-Mart, work, or a restaurant or something (though if I saw them at church I'd probably be happiest). I also realize that the way that they are going to be able to stay out is through Christ, and one of my goals is to help them to realize that as well. Phillipians 4:13 says that we can do everything through Him, and yet, John 15:5 says that without Him we can't do anything. They won't be able to beat the statistics without Christ.

It truly gives one a sense of urgency to know that your time with someone is extremely short, and that you may be the only person that they'll ever meet that shares a very urgent message with them. The guys were interested in that message too. They had questions about everything, and they wanted to know more. And even though I may never see them again, I have a hope and pray that someone else will come along that will help them to find the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment