Monday, August 15, 2011

Sacrifice

I'm excited for my church. I feel the excitement level and love for God rising, I see people constantly stepping out of their comfort zones to help others, and have watched as people have let God radically change their lives. But the thing that has struck me most lately is a feeling of awe towards the level of sacrifice I've seen.

Three instances in particular come to mind when I think about this. I've seen a man and his wife downsize their business, in part because they desired to be able to spend more time helping out with both the youth group and the children's ministry even more than they already do. I've seen a member of the youth group who was 4th in the world in a video game sell his handmade computer and games because he felt that they had become his idol. I've seen two fellow college students spend their precious summer time volunteering to help out throughout the week with the youth group. And when I see these things I'm filled with joy and respect towards the people that are willing to make such a sacrifice.

These people truly understand what we as Christians are to do. Where they see a need, they fill it. When they realize that priorities need to be shifted, they make painful decisions. All while chasing after God and striving to put Him first. I'm proud of you guys, and I intend to brag about you even more in the future. Don't disappoint.

But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ.                                                                                                                              Philippians 3:7-8

1 comment:

  1. An example to all, a gift to many but truly a servant to the king and the Apple of his eye!

    ReplyDelete