Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Personal Training Hiatus

Ever since I was a little kid, I've always known that I wanted to be a personal trainer.

I've always been on the go, I love science, I love the fitness scene, and I can remember being absolutely captivated by peoples' stories of weight loss and what it took for them to get there.

It was in high school that I recognized just how much physical activity caused even the most shy guy in the class to finally open up and be themselves, even if just for an hour.

And so, I went to college, getting my degree in exercise science, and taking a job as a personal trainer right afterwards.

I absolutely love it.

And so, it was kind of hard to put in my two weeks notice today at the gym I've worked at the past year and a half.

I ended up taking a full time job as an exercise physiologist for my hospital (a job I absolutely adore), and grad school has really begun to ramp up as I prepare for the final stretch. When you add those two things on top of personal training, I was consistently working 10-12 hour days, which I quickly discovered you can't do forever.

Am I glad to be able to clear a little room off of my plate so that I can finally breathe again? Absolutely. It was getting to the point where I had little time other than just to sleep and work. My own workouts went down the tube, my studying suffered, I found myself irritable, and it was making it so I barely had anytime to spend with Yellowhed.

I had to make a choice, but I sure do hope I'll be able to get back to it someday.

I've been talking about that with a guy at work lately. Both of us want to someday open our own gyms, and personally, I'd love to open a personal training studio as well. But if you want that to happen, you have to have a leeeeetle bit of working capital.

And so, I save.

I don't know. We'll see what happens.

Do I absolutely love being an exercise physiologist? Yes. Did I absolutely love being a personal trainer? Yes. However, I've also come to terms with the fact that I have limits, and so, personal training has been put on the backburner.

Maybe I'll get back into it after grad school?


No comments:

Post a Comment